A recovery code is a temporary two-factor layer of security used to change your two-factor phone number from the sign-in page. You can generate a recovery code from your account settings.
It is strongly advised that you generate a recovery code when you sign up to Qwil Messenger and keep this in a safe place.
Why do I need to have a recovery code?
There are many reasons why you might not be able to receive an SMS code, for example:
- You lost your number
- You changed your number
- You do not have access to your phone
- You moved abroad
- Your registered phone number was your work phone and not your personal number. (We advise you make sure your registered number is your personal number, see Change my 2FA phone number).
If you cannot receive SMS codes to your registered phone number, the only way you will be able to access your account is to change your registered number from the sign-in process. For this, you will need a recovery code.
To generate a code you will need:
- Your password.
- Your 2FA phone number to receive a 6 digit authentication code.
Generate a recovery code:
- Sign in to Qwil.
- Navigate to your account settings .
- Click on Recovery code
- Enter your password and click Submit.
- You will receive an SMS code to your registered phone number.
- Enter the SMS code and click Submit.
- Your recovery code will be generated.
You should keep your recovery code stored in a safe place. You will not be able to view your recovery code again, but you can generate a new one.
Note: You can only generate a recovery code through a web browser.