A recovery code is a temporary two-factor layer of security used to change your account phone number from the sign-in page. You can generate a recovery code from your account settings.
Note: It is strongly advised that you generate a recovery code when you sign up to Qwil Messenger and keep this in a safe place.
Why do I need to have a recovery code?
There are many reasons why you might not be able to receive an SMS code, for example:
- You lost your number
- You changed your number
- You do not have access to your phone
- You moved abroad
- Your account phone number was your work phone and not your personal number. (We advise you make sure your account number is your personal number, see Change my account phone number).
If you cannot receive SMS codes to your account phone number, the only way you will be able to access your account is to change your account number from the sign-in process. For this, you will need a recovery code.
To generate a code you will need:
- Your password.
- Your account phone number to receive a 6 digit authentication code.
Tip: You can only generate a recovery code through a web browser or the Qwil Desktop App.
Generate a recovery code:
- Sign in to Qwil.
- Click on your avatar in the top-right.
- Navigate to Account & Settings.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Click on Change recovery code.
- Enter your password and click Submit.
- You will receive an SMS code to your account phone number.
- Enter the SMS code and click Submit.
- Your recovery code will be generated.
- Print it or write it down, and store it in a safe place.
Note: You should keep your recovery code stored in a safe place. You will not be able to view your recovery code again, but you can generate a new one.
Important: A recovery code can only be used once. Be sure to generate a new one after using it.